How to Measure
To be sure of the best fitting for your curtains, please take measurements once you have fitted your track or pole. Curtain tracks and poles are best positioned 15cm (6 inches) above the window recess and should extend 15-20cm (6-8 inches) either side.
Measurement' A' is the width of the curtain. This is the length of the pole between the finials (decorative piece on the ends) the width of the curtain. Measurement 'B' is the drop of the curtain.
You need to decide whether you want curtains to the sill, below the sill or to the floor. You may also decide to have your curtains finishing just above the floor, on the floor, or in a small 'puddle' its up to you. The measurement is taken from the base of the pole ring where the metal eye screws into the ring, to the point at which you want your curtains to finish.
Don't worry about hem turning allowances this is factored into the fabric quantity on your quote.
As a rule, measure the drop from the underside of the curtain rings to ensure the pole can be seen above the curtains. The curtain drop is the length from the top to the bottom of the curtain. The drop will depend on where the base of the curtain is to finish, ie sill, below sill or floor and the heading style.
However, this does depend on the type of curtain:
- For eyelet curtains measure from the top of the pole and add 3cm
- For sheer rod pocket curtains measure from the top of the pole and add 2cm
- For tab-headed curtains measure from the top of the pole.
- To minimise light exposure we recommend you position your pole a minimum of 15 cm above the top of the window.
Measure the correct point to:
- Mesurement to sill for sill length
- The desired length for below sill length
- 1cm above the floor for full length
When measuring, always look out for things like window handles, or anything that could obstruct the blinds easy operation. This way you will be sure of a perfect fit.
If you want your blind to be fitted OUTSIDE the recess then:
- Measure the width of the actual recess plus an additional amount - between 5-10cm (2" - 4") whatever you think looks right
- Measure the exact drop of the recess. The blind would be fitted above the recess, so check the space above and add some to the drop - usually 15-20cm (6" - 8")
These sizes you have taken will be the size of the finished blind. The amount of fabric required will be more than this finished size to allow for turnings.
If you want your blind to be fitted INSIDE the recess then:
- Measure the exact width of the recess in three places - A, B and C . Please provide me with narrowest size.
- Measure the exact drop of the recess in three places - D, E and F . Please provide me with shortest size.
Most windows are not square, this is why it is recommended to take 3 measurements at 3 different points to give you a perfect fit.
Please do not take off any allowances from your measurements. This will be done for you. We will take one cm (half an inch) off the finished width size you have given us, to allow for the blind to pull up and down easily. The amount of fabric required will be more than this finished size to allow for turnings.
Matching roman blind and curtain pelmets are available. Fitted outside the recess covering the top section of the blind or pole.
For further information or an estimate, please contact [email protected]